Thursday, July 30, 2015

The Crayons Are Coming Home....And You Can Create Your Very Own Too!

One of my all time favorite books is The Day The Crayons Quit by Drew Daywalt.  It is the cutest little story about a box of Crayons....and the illustrations by Drew Daywalt make them all come to life. 
Two years ago, we Skyped with Drew from our library in Van Meter.  It was so much fun....and such a special visit for all of us.  You can read all about our Skype here

On August 18, Drew has a new picture book coming out.  In fact, it is the companion to The Day The Crayons Quit!  It is called....The Day The Crayons Came Home.   I can't tell you how excited Hagan and I are to read this book.

And today on my friend Terry Shay's Facebook I was excited to find something super fun to go along with Drew's books.  
It is called Every Crayon Counts and can be found on Drew's website.

On this page, you can create a little postcard to show your support for the Crayons.
 First, you choose the Crayon you would like.
 Next, you add a message.  You can choose from several from a drop down menu or....
write your own.

I made this one for Hagan by clicking on the yellow crayon and Writing my own... message.
When you are finished, it will give you several ways to share the postcard that you created.
It also downloads the postcard onto your computer so you can save, share and use it too.
Once you have your image created, share it using the hashtag #EveryCrayonCounts.
As you can see, there is a fun conversation happening that you won't want to miss.

There are so many fun ways you could use this website with your students this year....

Creative writing projects; as a back-to-school poster to make each student shine in their own; as a fun art lesson about color; retelling the story in their own words; having their favorite Crayon tell why they came back and where they have been....the list goes on and on.
And don't forget to check out all of the AWESOME Lesson Plans and Activities on the website too.

I can't wait to see how everyone uses the books and website with your students this year.

Thank you Drew for bringing us another wonderful story about our favorite Crayons.  And for letting us create our very own.  

4 comments:

  1. I love this, Shannon! You got my creative juices flowing again after vacation. Although I'm in middle school now, I'm a proponent of using picture books at all grade levels. I riffed off your post to link some Common Core State Standards to Drew's books on Scoop.it: http://sco.lt/6ZXt69

    Thanks for sharing!

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are welcome, Mary. :) This is awesome what you have done....Thank you. May I share it in my post too?

    Hope you are having a beautiful summer, Shannon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Of course you may share! You are so generous with all your wonderful work!

      I hope your summer is wonderful, too!

      Mary

      Delete